Do you think it is already time to replace your electric cooker? Well, this can happen if the appliance has been dead for several years or you are planning to upgrade your kitchen. You may go through this livenewspost as you need advice from the experts before spending your money on a simple task like electric wiring. Though the work done by a professional electric cooker installation in London is not an easy task to perform, there are certain legalities before you decide to take up this do it yourself work.
Step 1: Know if your house meet power requirements
Electric cookers require lots of power to work properly as they generate extreme amount of heat. This means you require at least a 13 amp fuse though the new models will probably need a 32 amp fuse.Since you require a separate fuse for the appliance, you will have to fit thecooker on a separate circuit. This isolated system ensures your cooking appliance is producing sufficient amount of power all the time which is a perfectly safe option to work.
Step 2: Buy and install a double pole isolating switch
Cookers are power-hungry machines that should be “supervised” by a double pole isolating switches. But what do these gadgets actually do? This kind of isolating switch ensures the wiring of the cooking do not carry electrical current for a short circuit. This means you do not get shocked when you touch an appliance after the event. There is a double pole isolating switch available in the market. These switches can shut both the wires off to ensure complete safety.
Step 3: Check the position of your cooker control unit
Your appliance should be connected with a thick cable to cooker control unit. Make sure the cooker ispositioned within two meters of the unit butnot below it directly to avoid probable fire hazard situation. If cooker control unit is the latest model, then it will probably install neon lights on it. These denotes when the unit has been turned on and if any current is passing through it.
Step 4: Select the right cable for all cooking needs
If you have purchased a new electric cooker, make sure cable is included in the packaging. Read to know some guidelines and choose the right one for your purpose:
- You require a cable with sufficient thickness – A 2.5mm heat-resistant cable will usually do the work perfectly in case of domestic needs.
- The cable should have different wires – Some commonly sold varieties are available in wires – brown wire for the live current, blue wire for neutral current and an exposed wire that requires residual current to the earth. The cable is usually named in the form of a “2 core and earth” or a “twin and earth”.
If you do not know about the right size and kind size of cable to use for your appliance, make sure you go through official manual and consult a professional electrician to meet your purpose.
Step 5: Consider “Hot Zone” of the appliance
The hot zone of cooker is usually the area located directly above the appliance. So, before you may install the cooker at the exact location, free it from any flammable materials such as wallpaper, overhanging boiler, wood, etc. There has to be a gap of at least 300mm between the appliance and other items installed in the kitchen. This is vital as you have done a thorough property renovation such as – kitchen fitting, fridge-freezer installation, mounting sinks or installation of any appliances like dishwasher fitting or washing machine.
Step 6: Connect the cooker to power grid of your home
Here is what you should do for the successful electric cooker installation.
Connect cable to the back of your cooker
- Position outlet box at the back of the appliance and then unscrew plate.
- Connect live (brown), neutral (blue), and earth (green-yellow) wires in the exact slots. This means neutral will go to the left, live will be going to the right and earth will be there at the centre.
- Tighten screws to secure wires properly in place and then re-apply the back plate.
Connect cooker to its control unit
- See if the cable of the cooker has been attached security to your appliance.
- Lock cooker circuit on the fuse box with a small padlock in order to avoid anyone from flipping switch accidentally while you wire the appliance.
- Turn double pole isolator switch on to de-energise the cooker completely.
- Place scrap piece of vinyl or other covering below the appliance before you shift it to a position and prevent scratching kitchen flooring.
- Use a voltage tester to know if the control unit of your cooker is completely safe to work with. After this, you need to remove screws inside the connections.
- Push wires gently into the equivalent slots and place the screws back. Make sure you do not cross-thread the screws at an angle.
- Finally, screw insulation bit under the wiring to secure wires firmly in its place.
By following all the instructions discussed above, you will be able to cook your favorite meals and enjoy them to the utmost. If there is a minor electrical job to be done, it will require lot of research, preparation and patience on your part. Yet, you will be able to attain success in your work when you do it with the right mindset and extreme care. If youstillwant, you need to hire an electric cooker installation electrician in London and get the work done from him to stay protected.