It is a well-known fact that spinal cord injuries can cause severe damage to the spinal cord or the bones and tissues. One can also lose mobility and function of different parts of the body based on the severity of the injury.
Spinal cord injury treatment Orange County & Irvine are available in different forms, including medication, surgery, and even physical therapy.
The primary goal for spinal cord injury treatment is to restore the highest possible level of functionality and prevent any further complications that can cause further damage. Therefore, let us take a look at different types of treatments for spinal cord injury.
Immediate Treatment For Spinal Cord Injury
There have been many cases when the patient had to undergo urgent surgery after being a spinal cord injury victim. This mostly happens in cases where there is a trauma in any other part of the body. Therefore, in such cases, one can undergo surgery to treat the spinal cord injuries resulting from a blood clot, broken bones, or damaged tissues.
Certain studies and research show that corticosteroid injection can be beneficial in treating spinal cord injuries. However, it is very important to ensure that the medication is given to the patient within eight hours of the occurrence of the injury. This treatment can help a patient in different ways, including:
- Preserving the functions of the nerve
- Enhancing the blood flow in the body
- Reducing inflammation
Long-Term Treatment For Spinal Cord Injury
There have been cases when immediate treatment of the spinal cord injury fell short in some way or the other. This is when patients have to undergo long term spinal cord injury treatments for many different reasons that include:
- Reducing the risk of ongoing chronic health complexities
- Improving the overall quality and independence of the patient’s life
- Restoring the functions of the nerve in case of partial injury
In addition, there can be numerous long-term complications resulting from a spinal cord injury. Some of these complications that require long term treatment include:
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Sexual dysfunction
- Inability to regulate body temperature and blood pressure
- Relentless chronic pain
- Increase in lungs or heart complications
- Joint contracture or spasticity
- Paralysis in the legs or arms
Does Rehabilitation Help In Treating Spinal Cord Injury?
Physical therapy and rehabilitation is almost compulsory for most patients with spinal cord injury. Many orthopedic spine surgeons Orange County & Irvine themselves recommend physical therapy to enhance the recovery process. Based on the recommendation of the doctor, patients can either undergo inpatient or outpatient therapy. This type of physical therapy can help patients:
- Regain mobility and strength in different parts of the body where there is a loss of nerve function.
- Learn to use different assistive devices such as wheelchairs and walkers
- Recovering the skills and strengths required to carry out general activities of daily life, including using the toilet and dressing.
Spinal cord injuries can considerably impact the lives of patients who have fallen victim to the injury. However, with proper care and treatment, one can slowly and steadily get back to their everyday life and enhance the quality of their life. Therefore, always make sure to get the proper treatment for spinal cord injury.