PCOD stands for Poly-Cystic Ovarian Disorder and affects around 20% of the women across the globe. It affects the women in their reproductive ages and leads to primary and secondary infertility. It is a hormonal disorder in which multiple cysts are formed on one or both the ovaries. This leads to irregularities in the menstrual cycle and enlargement of ovaries. As the ovaries are enlarged, they produce large amounts of oestrogen and androgen. This excessive production of hormones leads to even more irregularities in the menstrual cycle, excessive weight gain, behavioural changes and excessive acne. Many times, women affected with PCOD experience excessive facial hair growth, just like men. This, in turn, makes the acne worse and the face even more unsightly. A detailed diagnosis for identifying the cause is compulsory before commencing the Ayurvedic treatment for PCOD.
PCOD – What, How and Why?
PCOD can happen in any age group, given that the person affected is in the reproductive age.
Allopathic medicine has no particular medicinal cure for this disease apart from the artificial hormones. This is why the doctors prescribe lifestyle and dietary changes to tackle the disease. The patient has to adhere to a strict diet of a fixed number of calories and follow an active routine throughout the day. For the PCOD patients, it is very hard to lose weight and keep the acne at bay. If not tackled at the right time, it can bring a lot of other diseases and health issues along with it such as, thyroid and diabetes. Women affected by PCOD find it hard to conceive a baby. Many cases become infertile as well.
As the cure of this hormonal disorder lies in the lifestyle and dietary habits, the Ayurvedic treatment for PCOD is one of the most reliable ones. Allopathic medicine uses hormones that can affect many other body functions. Further, these hormonal pills are continued for years. However, the Ayurvedic treatment for PCOD focuses on the root cause of the problem instead of symptoms. The results are better, long-lasting and more commendable than the allopathic treatment.
Hence, the right diagnosis, the right ayurvedic treatment for PCOD and the right attitude towards a healthy lifestyle is a must.
Ayurveda and PCOD:
The ayurvedic treatment for PCOD begins with the analysis of body disposition of the patient and assessing the other body parameters such as weight etc. Studies suggest that if a patient loses just 5% of their body weight, it is enough to bring the hormones in balance and restore the menstrual cycle. Both of them are crucial factors for the ayurvedic treatment of PCOD.
Most of the Ayurvedic treatment plans range in between 30 day and 90 days. Once the body assessment is over and the disposition (Prakriti) of the patient is ascertained, the treatment begins. The patient’s body is detoxified and prepared for the herbal treatment by basic detoxification and cleansing via Panchakarma.
Panchakarma removes the toxins collected in the body of the patient because of hormonal disorder and wrong dietary and lifestyle habits. The patient is prescribed herbal medicines, exercises (Vyayama), and is put on a healthy but light diet.
The patient is also given herbal medicines that boost fertility and help the body in maintaining the hormonal balance.
As PCOD has a multifaceted and hard-to-diagnose etiopathogenesis, it takes an expert diagnosis to cure the patient. PCOD or PCOS can occur because of stress and stressful lifestyle, any disturbance in HPO axis, some genetic causes or hyperandrogenemia. Hence, the Ayurvedic cure for the disease varies from patient to patient. While the allopathic medicine is the same across a majority of the patients, this is not so in Ayurvedic cure.
As per Ayurveda, every person has a different body disposition or Prakriti namely – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Each one of them leads to a different reaction towards ailments, hormonal imbalances, food, lifestyle habits and even medicines. Hence, no two persons can be given an entirely similar cure or put on an entirely similar diet.
In the next section we are going to discuss some of the common dietary and lifestyle changes prescribed to the PCOD patients in Ayurvedic treatment.
PCOD Dos and Don’ts as per Ayurveda:
- The patients have to cut down the consumption of milk and milk products. They can take buttermilk though.
- The patient can take low fat milk after boiling it and removing the milk fat from the same. Adding a pinch of turmeric or ginger is recommended to lower the Vata dosha.
- The patients must follow a natural sleeping pattern, and avoid the afternoon naps. This is because these naps can interrupt the sleep cycle at night.
- The patients must avoid all types of junk foods at all costs.
- Consuming rich and calorie-intensive foods such as red meat and deep-fried foods is prohibited.
- Sugar aggravates Kapha. So, the Ayurvedic experts advise restricted consumption of sugar. Further, you must replace sugar with other natural items such as honey. Also, the patient must balance her excess calorie consumption by doing daily workouts and yoga. The exercise must be done regularly.
- Eating super foods such as flax seeds and including healthy nuts such as almond and pine nuts etc in your diet gives you energy throughout the day without affecting the calorie intake.
- The patients must limit their consumption of potatoes or sweet potatoes. Excessive consumption of starchy foods leads to sudden weight gain and also affects the blood sugar levels.
- As stress also plays a considerable role in PCOD and its symptoms, the patients must stay away from it. They must also avoid doing any physical or mental work that is stressful.
- The patients must regulate and restrict the amount of oral contraceptives they take. The hormones in the contraceptives can also lead to many other issues and can affect the natural ability of their bodies to conceive and stay fertile.
Ayurvedic treatment for PCOD has been proven effective with numerous patients being cured. Other treatment methods use medicines that may have a widespread side effect on the patient. You may contact a well-established ayurveda hospital in Kerala to know more about the course of treatment and other aspects regarding the same.